Friday, January 6, 2012

Recycled Calendar Art


What to do with a big blank wall? 

Here's an idea! Warning: this DIY project is EXTREMELY challenging, not to mention dangerous, and should only be attempted by the most experienced DIYers. Attempt at your own risk. 

Supplies:
1) A calendar
2) Tape or command strips
3) Hands

Instructions: 
1) Rip up old calendar pages
2) Tape them onto your wall


Ha um, yeah. This shouldn't even be considered a DIY. It's too easy.


My roommate and I did this at 1 AM a few months ago to bring some much needed color into the bedroom of our college rental house.

She happened to have this precious watercolor calendar by Masha D'yans from the year before, and it was too pretty to throw away. So we just tore the edges of each page and overlapped them on the wall!


And there it is...a recycled calendar. In all its glory. {Excuse the design trace paper all over my bed!}

I later added that elephant print that I got on my trip to the wonderful Sesame and Lilies. The things hanging from the ceiling are vintage fabric strips and string lights from Ikea. 

We also hung that tree branch above my bed! We just found it in our yard and hung it up. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted a spiky treacherous branch to loom above my head while I slept. A little unsettling. But now, we love it!

 I put a link to Masha D'yans' 2012 calendar here!

12 comments:

designchic said...

What an ingenious and really cute idea...love it!!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

That is so cute! It does look a bit dangerous LOL!
And I totally get the tree branch on the wall. I have a branch my son found outside that looks so cool. I have it on the fireplace mantel as decor.
Love those out of the box ideas!!!
Sherry's Bees Nest

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Where I would have agonized about the right kind of frame for hours I love that you just hung them on the wall. It looks amazing!!!

Marriage from Scratch said...

love, love, love this!!

katie josephine d said...

Oh my gracious, so I LOVE this. The color, the randomness- it looks beautiful. (:

Stefania Morgante said...

so cute idea!

artpaperdoll said...

I really like your idea

Pam said...

You came up with something that is simple but the result has beautiful impact, love it!

Janis @ Home Style said...

Those are beautiful pics (thanks for the link), and they look great hung this way.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following along.

AMitchell said...

I love your idea! It's so simple yet so beautiful! I think it's really great that you just put the pictures directly onto the wall without frames. Great job. :)

Bex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bex said...

I really love this idea. We save calendars we get from Britain just because we hate to throw away the beautiful artwork. This is brilliant.

I had an idea - take some brightly colored yarn and maybe braid 3 strands or crochet a long tail and place it or tack it all around the edges of the calendar pics on the wall to form a kind of floating frame...