Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's in the Details {even trash cans}

via
Well, I never thought I'd do a post about a trash can. But today, that is what I'm going to do, and you're all going to LIKE IT. 

Maybe choosing a trash can seems like an insignificant detail in a room. Something that should just be thrown in at the last minute. Maybe I'm overly obsessed, but details like this are some of my favorite parts of design. The parts of a space that you might not initially notice at first glance. To me, these details can make all the difference in a space. 

My mom is a big fan of Alexandra Stoddard and has encouraged me to read her books. While I haven't gotten through a whole book of hers yet, I have read a bit of her book, Living a Beautiful Life: 500 Ways to Add Elegance, Order, Beauty, and Joy to Every Day of Your Life. In this book she encourages her readers to make everyday rituals SPECIAL. As such a visual person, I completely relate to this. When writing notes in class, I can almost guarantee that if I have the choice, you will never see me writing my notes in a view binder that still has the label in it. Like this: 


For less visual people, maybe that wouldn't bother them at all. And that's great. But for me, I see that across the classroom and have to hold myself back from sprinting across the room and ripping the painfully ugly label out of the front. And maybe even putting a piece of craft paper in its place. Not because I'm materialistic or that I need everything to be perfection. Not at all. But if I had the CHOICE and if it was easy and inexpensive to change, I would want to make it pretty. I just know that those small pretty details can brighten my day a little every time I see them.

I know I'm a little more inspired to write good notes for class when I like the notebook I'm writing them in. I use my calendar more if it means I get to notice the pattern on the front every time. I'd probably take the trash out a little more often if it meant I got to look at that precious trash can every time I took the trash out (yes I just described a trash can as precious). 

There's my ramblings for the day. Who's with me on that? Surely I'm not the only one. I'm sure at least the designer of that trash can is with me. Can you imagine being a trash can designer?

 Maybe that's my true calling...buuut no. I think I'll pass.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this thing where all the trashcans need to be pretty...or at least go with the space. Bathrooms, offices, and especially kitchens! My husband doesn't understand this quirk, but it's little things like an ugly trashcan that I notice so I think other people do too. Nice to know there is another person out there!

xoKylee

alexis @ bloomed in june said...

honestly-i've never even thought about a trashcan helping to make or break a room-but you're so right. they do!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Yep! A visible trash can must be pretty and not see through. Who wants to see the trash? Interesting post!
Makes one think :)
Sherry's Bees Nest

Diane Streicher @ Diane Again said...

I totally relate to the notebook-insert-ripping-out impulse. You know what I hate? When people buy plastic storage boxes, like Rubbermaid or Sterilite, and leave the big ugly stickers on them!! I'm always tempted to say, "Here, let me peel that off for you." The world would be a better place. :)

Jadyn @ Dutch.British.Love said...

I love this Courtney, and I can definitely relate! I love the details too and it does put a spring in my step to make something simple pretty. And pretty trashcans definitely help!

The Green Raybans said...

this is such a great post!

Just found your blog, glad i did. your blog is amazing, definitely following you! keep up the great work on your blog, looking forward to your next post!

xoxo
http://thegreenraybans.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that there are Others out there! I thought I was the only one who covered folders and peeled off labels. People have been teasing me about this for years and I have never met anyone else who did it. I teach primary school and I hate to go into other teachers' classrooms and see old (uncovered)cereal boxes for storage and photocopier paper boxes for crayons etc. I mean, how much time does it take to make it pretty? Glad to have met you! God bless x